Starting next year the Social Security Administration will completely phase out mailed checks. Roughly 90 percent of Social Security and Social Security Disability recipients have already converted to direct deposit or debit cards. The remaining 10 percent, or about seven million recipients, will need to make the adjustment. Though direct deposit is often cited as a safer, more efficient option, some do worry that elderly recipients will struggles with the transition.
As the joke goes, DC metro area recipients are more worried about Social Security going moneyless than paperless. Though the relative gravity of this administrative policy is low, it underscores a more pressing concern: individuals reliant upon Social Security benefits are often at the mercy of a massive agency that is itself at the mercy of an ever-changing political climate.
For those still receiving their Social Security Disability benefits through a mailed check, the upcoming year may bring headaches as they try to adjust. For others in the Northern Virginia and Baltimore areas, more minute and nuanced changes to the administrative procedure may upset the receipt or amount of their Social Security Disability benefits.
While many of these decisions are being made in the DC metro area, the rules often may seem like something written on the other side of the world in terms of complexity. Fortunately, there are experts who understand the ins and outs of the Social Security Administration. Experienced local attorneys can not only advocate for your benefits but can help you navigate the rules and regulations.
Source: Post-Tribune, "Social Security phasing out mailed checks; electronic deposits coming," Stephen Ohlemacher, April 16, 2012